Skip to main content

March 13, 2014

These past couple weeks in the branch has been special because a man named Galen Susaita Paz is one of the most humble people that I know. The sister missionaries of the Santa Cruz Stake of Zion found him some place. I don't know where, but the light and virtue of their countenance enlightened his intelligence, leading them to continue and pursue of an investigation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I did not participate in the direct appointments, instructing Galen the Gospel with the missionaries; however, I had two special teaching moments with him. They are the following experiences.
I was asked to teach a class for the Elders of Priesthood about the Plan of Salvation. I wanted to make sure that Galen does not feel out of place, having no idea what we are talking about; therefore, I asked him what he knows about the Plan of Salvation. I was surprised to hear that he had no idea what the Plan of Salvation is, for I usually teach it as soon as possible after the Restoration to my investigators as a full time missionary. He said that it was the commandments. I was grateful for the opportunity to be the one that led the lesson to teach him the Plan of Salvation with the Elders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This trend of teaching him the next lesson before the missionaries get to it continued the next week. Galen planned to get baptized the next Saturday, and I felt prompted to warn him what I see that happens to people just about to commit themselves to the Gospel of Christ. I admonished him that he may see many weird things, trying to distract him and promote doubt of the Gospel. I have seen this a lot with investigators. Satan only has a few investigators, missionaries, and recent converts to attack, and his efforts to thwart the work of God is successful a lot of the time. I also warned him of the spirit of doubt. It is hard to dispell, when you entertain it, and it has great purpose to destroy a soul. After that admonition, I asked him what he is going to do for the rest of the Sabbath day, and Galen said that he has no idea what the Sabbath is. When I was about to teach him, the sister missionaries drove by, and he told him that I was teaching him about the Sabbath. They said that they were about to teach it to him, and he is always prepared (by the Spirit before the lesson I presume, and I may have taught him the Plan of Salvation before they taught him.) During the week before his baptism, Galen said that the spirit of doubt seized on him powerfully. I expected this because last Sunday before the baptism he was saying that he was feeling all the feelings that he possibly could after church about baptism. He said after a lesson with the missionaries it attacked, and he remembered my warning, remaining at the church until the doubt departed. I was humbled that he chose me to ordain him to the Aaronic Priesthood the Sunday following his baptism to be a Priest.
Preparing for the conferral of the Priesthood power to him, I reviewed the expectations, which I am use to because I am an ordinance worker; furthermore, I prepared the words that I would like to say in the blessing. Respecting that during the ordinance, I may be prompted otherwise. This is what I wrote:

"I dedicate this document to Galen. I am so honored to be chosen to ordain you a priest in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I do not know what I will say in the ordination, but I hope that it will be something like this.
The Aaronic Priesthood is the preparatory priesthood. The Priesthood is the power of God given to man to fulfill his work and plan; furthermore, it is the power given to man to lead his family to Eternal life. There is no other means to do so. In your preparation to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood, this time is important for you to develop lasting habits of your service. You now have the authority to “preach, teach, expound, exhort, … and visit the house of each member, and exhort them to pray vocally and in secret and attend to all family duties." Sacred ordinances that you can perform is baptism and the Sacrament. The Sacrament has become sacred to me as a priesthood holder, for I feel like the apostles of old who anointed and dressed the body of Christ in his tomb. Your Heavenly Father is happy because your faith and humility in Christ. Prepare now as you have been to serve in greater capacities in the Priesthood by practicing your duty, following the spirit, and continually feasting on the word of God. You will be given revelations, comfort, guidance, and opportunities to serve according to your faithfulness to prayer and the commandments. Look to the prophets for examples for faithful priesthood service. We all love you very much."

Today, the 16th of March, I taught Galen how to bless the Sacrament and put it away. His feedback was that it was simple. I liked how that sounded. Putting the sacrament away, I was impressed by his faith, naturally practicing the greatest level of reverence. He even whispered when he approached me at the sacrament table.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Priscilla Pringle's Predicament - Reader's Theater at Lethbridge Whoop-U...

This week was quite fun for me because I got to portray the main antagonist in a Reader's Theater called 'Priscilla Pringle's Predicament/All's Swell That Ends Swell' that Playgoers of Lethbridge put on at Lethbridge Whoop-Up Days 2017. The story was written by Ed Bayly, a truly wonderful individual. Doing the performances all week reminded me of how much I love participating in theater. Please enjoy this recording! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIh88Y5H3cI&t=1135s

Avatar: The Last Post

"In the era before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energies within ourselves." -A giant Lion Turtle Avatar the Last Airbender was one of my favorite shows when I was but a lad, which was about a year ago... If you haven't seen it, then you have missed out, cause they're already on the second series, season, whatever you wanna call it, but it's on Netflix so there's that. "Are you sure you're not talking about the Blue cat people?" I'm positive... I mean, it was just great, BUT, much like Pokemon, it was one of those shows, that you watch and you get sad cause you're like, "Why can't I do that?" So it was sort of bittersweet. Anyway, what I'm trying to get at, is that it's great. "You really liked it huh?" Chyea, I was thinking about it the other day and something hit me... I think it was a Dragonfly, cause let me tell you, that thing was HUGE and it hurt... But then I realized something. 

"Around and around" by Isidro Zapata on the #mormonysablogs Official Website

Around & around we go trying to fill a void in our hearts, so around & around we go, trying to fill a void in our hearts, The Son of Man's compassion, passion and grace step in, to fill the void holding us tenderly, by his love and grace Jesus will never let us go So around and around our love grows hard to walk away from such love Jesus is the only way to live a life of bliss So around and around our love grows Jesus gave his life for you and me Wiping away every tear showing you grace from above now that is true love So around and around our love grows to the one who laid down his life so we can live a life of bliss hard to walk away from such love so around and around our love grows to him who laid down his life for you and me CR2016-01-04 iz